Fifth Grade Mathematics
Unit 2: Using Strategies for Multiplication and Division of Whole Numbers
What will your child learn in Unit 2?
In Unit 2, fifth graders will primarily work on multi-digit multiplication and division problems. Students will use a variety of strategies to solve the problem. The solution methods range from using concrete models or drawings to strategies based on place value, meanings of operations, and number sense. In addition, students will be guided on how to solve multi-digit multiplication problems using the standard algorithm. Students will understand why this method works and will apply this strategy to solve problems efficiently. Children go through different phases to quickly and accurately solve multi-digit multiplication and division problems. See chart below. Unit 2 will primarily focus on phases 2 and 3.
What math strategies will your child use in Unit 2?
There are a variety of strategies to help solve multi-digit multiplication and division problems. The strategies should seem familiar to the children because they learned them in fourth grade. The handout below gives an explanation of the different types of strategies.
Check out the videos below to see the math strategies in action.
Most of the explanations are from students from our district. Thank you to the students for volunteering to explain their thinking!
How can you support your child at home to reinforce the concepts taught in Unit 2?
There are several ways to have your child practice the math concepts at home. Try the following activities:
- Give your child a multi-digit multiplication or division problem and have them solve it mentally and explain their thinking verbally.
- Visit Number Pieces to use base-10 blocks to solve multi-digit multiplication or division problem. Click the “i” on the bottom of the website for instructions on how to use it.
- Visit Cubes to have your child fill a box with cubes, rows of cubes, or layers of cubes to find the volume of the box.
- Visit Thinking Blocks to have your child build models and solve multiplication and division word problems.
- Math Games for Home: Print the handouts to practice concepts through games.